All round muffin recipe
Gluten free, dairy free, sugar free
- ½ cup / 65g each of amaranth, quinoa, and light buckwheat flour
- 2 tbs arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ to 1 cup / 50 – 100g chopped nuts
- (pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts)
- 3 tbs milk substitute (i.e. nut milk) or fruit juice
- 1 tbs light oil
- 1 tbs sweetener of choice i.e maple syrup (optional for a sweet muffin) -see advice about sweeteners HERE
- 1 large ripe banana mashed, or ½ to ¾ cup/ 25 – 50g of shredded courgette - the banana is for a sweet muffin, and the courgette is for a savoury muffin
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F / 220c
1 Grease a muffin/bun tin with vegetable oil. Combine flours, arrowroot, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nuts in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add milk substitute/fruit juice, oil, sweetener, mashed banana / courgette. Mix lightly, adding more liquid if needed to moisten flour - add more liquid, 2 tbs at a time, until the flour is moistened. Dough should be fairly stiff.
3. Divide the dough evenly among 12 muffin cups. Bake about 12 to 15 minutes. Immediately after removal from oven, loosen muffins and turn them out to cool.
Muffins are ideal for breakfast to give you a bit of ballast. Adding a healthy smoothie and you have a great start to the day.