Finding an endometriosis specialist is a crucial part to getting the best medical treatment for this disease.
Ideally you need to get treatment from a doctor who is an endometriosis specialist and has a lot of experience in treating women and girls at all stages of the disease.
The optimal treatment would be from a doctor who has an all encompassing knowledge of this disease including: surgical skills, current understanding of various treatments, access to the most modern surgical equipment and techniques, openness to complementary approaches, and compassion for what you are going through.
Increase in endometriosis specialists
Fortunately, several doctors around the world have made endometriosis their primary focus. There is also a growing number of complementary practitioners who are gaining experience and success in helping with treating the symptoms of endometriosis.
Many of the endometriosis specialists are usually located in larger metropolitan areas or teaching hospitals, although a few can be found in smaller communities.
If you want to find an endometriosis specialist near to where you live, a good place to start your enquiries is with your local endometriosis support group, or contact the national support group for your country.
They will probably have had feedback from other women, and should have had contact with the specialists in their country. Ask your family doctor if they know of any endometriosis specialists, or ask for a referral.
Optional location to get treatment
If you have the means, you may want to consider travelling to see an expert, especially if you live in an area that doesn't have access to an endometriosis specialist. If you live in the US, certain types of insurance may not cover an appointment with an ‘out of area’ doctor, so you may have to pay out of pocket.
This can be a considerable financial, logistical, and emotional decision, but might be worth it in the long run. Treatment by an endometriosis specialist may help you avoid years of misdiagnosis or inadequate treatments.
Locating a good endometriosis doctor may take time and effort. But it will be worth it.
*Note - see bottom of page for additional specialist details to download - as recommended by endometriosis patients.
Recommended Endometriosis Specialists
The following doctors are some of the best known endometriosis specialists in the United States - listed in no particular order:
Endometriosis Pain Management - NYC
British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy
List of Endometriosis Centres currently accredited by the BSGE, and the lead clinicians involved
This website lists Accredited Endometriosis Centres based in UK NHS Hospitals in alphabetical order, with consultants names and phone details. Use the website address above to obtain the hospital and contact details.
There is no way to judge the value of these centres in being able to provide the best treatment. However it is hoped that these ‘accredited centres’ should be able to deliver specialist care and knowledge of endometriosis, based on experience of the disease and the patients they have worked with.
The centres listed are:
- Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
- Ashford & St Peter's Hospitals NHS Trust
- Chelsea & Westminster Hospital
- Colchester Hospital
- Cornwall Endometriosis Centre – Royal Cornwall Hospital
- Elland Hospital – Yorkshire
- Royal Sussex County Hospital – Brighton
- Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust – Pembury Hospital
- North Bristol NHS Trust – Southmead Hospital (as listed above)
- Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust – Southampton
- St Mary's Hospital, Portsmouth – Portsmouth
- St Michael’s Hospital - University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation
- UCLH Endometriosis Centre – London
- Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust – Wirral
Endometriosis Specialists Australia
This list of specialist has been supplied by feedback from other sufferers
- Dr Graham Tronc - Wesley Hospital, Brisbane Queensland
- Dr Jim Tsaltas - Melbourne, AustraliaDr. Susan Evans - Adelaide, Australia
- Dr Jason Abbott Alana - Randwick, Sydney, Australia
- Endometriosis Care Cenre Australia - ECCA is a multidisciplinary team of professionals providing specialist care for women with endometriosis - http://www.ecca.com.au
- Canberra Endometriosis Centre - Australia
The Canberra endometriosis centre is a multidisciplinary network of health professionals that work in partnership with women and teenagers with endometriosis and their families. - http://health.act.gov.au
- Centre for Advanced Reproductive Endosurgery - Operating in various hospitals in New South Wales - http://www.sydneycare.com.au/
Endometriosis Specialists Canada
These specialists also recommended by endometriosis sufferers who have undergone treatment with these doctors
- Dr. Liane Belland - Calgary, Alberta
- Dr. Terry Unger - St Albert, AlbertaDr. Grace Liu - Toronto, Ontario
- Dr. Christina Williams - Vancouver, British Columbia
- Dr. Kay Lie - Toronto
- Dr. Leyland Hamilton - McMaster hospital
Specialising in minimally invasive (laparoscopy and single access surgery) endometriosis treatment and laser therapy for endometriosis.
Based in Geneva, Switzerland.
Dr Pascal Bucher, MD
Scarless Surgery Center
Clinique de la Colline
Dr Jean-Marie Wenger, MD
Clinique de la Colline
Natural Therapy Specialist:
Clear Passage Physical Therapy
Director of Clinical Research
Also website at: www.miraclemoms.net
Clinic for Manual Physical Therapy
You can read some of the data on their treatment of endometriosis at:http://www.clearpassage.com/pain/pelvic-abdominal/endometriosis.php
How to get the best from your doctor HERE
Live website links for these specialists and some contact details are not included as information can change/go out of date. I suggest you use a search engine or phone directory to find the up to date contact details of these people.
If you have found another very good endometriosis specialist that is not on the list above, do let us know and they will be added to the list.