Gluten free, meat free, dairy free
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 cups carrot, diced or sliced
- 2 cups courgettes, diced or sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs hungarian paprika
- 2 tbs freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- fresh garlic - 3/4 bulb segments
- 2 cups tomatoes, de-seeded, and diced
- 1 - 15 oz./ 400 gram can kidney beans, rinsed, and drained
- 1 - 15 oz./ 400 gram can cannellini beans (or other white bean), rinsed, and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Nut yoghurt to garnish
1 In a large pot, gently cook the onion, carrot, and courgette in the olive oil, for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Add the tomato paste, paprika, parsley, and nutmeg, and cook an additional 2/3 minutes.
2 Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes - it depends how long it takes the carrots to soften. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
Serve the goulash in bowls by itself, or over pasta, grains, rice or mashed potatoes.
As a treat, add a swirl of creamy nut yoghurt to the goulash as an alternative to cream.
This is a good recipe for bulk cooking, to freeze some for another day when you do not feel well enough to cook..