This is a classic all-round tomato sauce recipe which can be used as it is with pasta, or make it a little thicker and can be used as a tomato base for your favourite pizza.
As this sauce makes about 2 pints you can freeze some for another day when you do not feel well enough to do much cooking.
Good All Round Tomato Sauce
Gluten free, dairy free, wheat free
Makes about 2 pints
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 onions
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup / 140ml tomato puree
- 1 carrot grated - optional, but gives a bit more texture
- 1 small red or green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups / 500ml chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1/3rd cup water
1. Soften together the onions and herbs in a heavy based saucepan with the oil.
2. Stir the tomato puree into the softened onion and heat for 3- 4 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir well, lower the heat and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes.
Great on any kind of pasta or vegetables. Left to reduce and thicken, it makes a good pizza topping.